Join our mailing list!

Online Payments

Home > Immigration Services
The Multi-Cultural Center of Sioux Falls' immigration attorney provides professional immigration services to individuals and their families needing assistance with matters before the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, The Executive Office for Immigration Review and the Department of State.

Appointments can be scheduled for Monday-Friday 9 am-4 pm. Please call 605.367.7401 to set up your appointment. A consultation fee must be paid prior to the first appointment.

Family Immigration Law

As a citizen of the United States, you may help a relative become a lawful permanent resident of the United States. A U.S. citizen can file a petition for the following relatives:
  • Husband or Wife
  • Children

A U.S. citizen who is at least 21 years or older may also petition for the following relatives:
  • Parents
  • Brothers or Sisters

As a Legal Permanent Resident, you may petition for certain family members to immigrate to the United States as permanent residents. You May Petition for the Following family members:
  • Husband or Wife
  • Unmarried children under 21
  • Unmarried son or daughter of any age


Consular Law

After an immigrant petition filed in the United States is approved by USCIS, it is forwarded to the National Visa Center (NVC) for processing. NVC plays an important role in the next steps of the immigrant visa process by providing instructions to petitioners, sponsors, and visa applicants; reviewing required Affidavit of Support forms from sponsors; and receiving fees, application forms, and other required documents from visa applicants. For numerically limited family preference petitions, NVC contacts the petitioner once the petition’s priority date is about to become current.

Priority Date: The priority date determines a person's turn to apply for an immigrant visa. In family immigration the priority date is the date when the petition was filed at a DHS, office or submitted to an Embassy or Consulate abroad. In employment immigration the priority date may be the date the labor certification application was received by the Department of Labor (DOL).

Current/non-current: There are numerical limits on the number of immigrant visas that can be granted to aliens from any one foreign country. The limit is based on place of birth, not citizenship. Because of the numerical limits, this means there is a waiting time before the immigrant visa can be granted.

Source: Department of State

Employment Authorization

Certain immigrants in the United States can apply for employment authorization (a work permit). Non-immigrants, depending on their visa, are eligible to apply for an EAD. Proof of U.S. Citizenship or having a lawful Permanent Residency card is proof of work authorization. If you do not have one of these two, please make an appointment to discuss the options of eligibility of obtaining an EAD card.



If you meet certain requirements, you may become a U.S. Citizen either at birth or after birth.

To become a citizen at birth, you must:
  • Have been born in the United States or certain territories or outlying possessions of the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction of the United States; OR
  • Had a parent or parents who were citizens at the time of your birth (if you were born abroad) and meet other requirements.

To become a citizen after birth, you must:
  • Apply for "derived" or "acquired" citizenship through parents; OR
  • Apply for naturalization

The Naturalization Test

Most naturalization applicants are required to take a test on:
  • English
  • Civics (U.S. History and Government)

Citizenship for Military Members and Dependents

Members and veterans of the U.S. armed forces and their dependents may be eligible for special naturalization provisions. For more information, please contact the Multi-Cultural Center for an appointment.


Permanent Resident

The steps to becoming a Green Card holder (permanent resident) vary by category and depend on whether you currently live inside or outside the United States. The main categories are:

  • Green Card Through Family
  • Green Card Through a Job
  • Green Card Through Refugee or Asylee Status
  • Other Ways to Get a Green Card
    • Amerasian Child of a U.S. Citizen
    • American Indian Born in Canada
    • Armed Forces Member
    • Cuban Native or Citizen
    • Diveristy Immigrant Visa Program
    • Haitian Refugee
    • Help HAITI Act of 2010
    • Indochinese Parole Adjustment Act
    • Informant (S Nonimmigrant)
    • Lautenberg Parolee
    • Legal Immigration Family Equity (LIFE) Act
    • Person Born to Foreign Diplomat in United States
    • Registry
    • Section 13 (Diplomat)
    • Victim of Criminal Activity (U Nonimmigrant)
    • Victim of Trafficking (T Nonimmigrant)


Travel Documents/Visas

Generally, if you want to visit (and not live in) the United States you must first obtain a visitor visa. Travelers from certain countries may be exempt from this requirement.

If you want to travel to the United States for reasons other than business or pleasure, you must apply for a visa in the appropriate catagory. This includes if you want to study, work as a crew member or journalist, etc.,

Extending Your Visit

If Customs and Border Protection (CBP) authorizes your admission to the United States at the designated port of entry, you will receive a stamped Form I-94, Record of Arrival-Departure. If you wish to stay beyond the time indicated on the Form I-94, you may apply for an extension with USCIS.


Refugee Adjustment

A refugee is a person who has fled his or her country of origin because of past persecution or a fear of future persecution based upon race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group. If the person is not in the United States, he or she may apply for inclusion in the U.S. asylum program. The Multi-Cultural Center can assist refugees with their refugee adjustment package.

All consultations and assistance are confidential and performed in a professional manner. Fees must be paid prior to services being rendered. Interpreters may be available for an additional fee.

Please call (605) 367-7401
to schedule an appointment.